12/21/2008

Ode

    3.

    I love you as a child his mother's breast, 
    as the dumb caves their own bottomlessness,
    as halls the light that shows them best,
    as the soul loves flame, as the body rest!
    I love you as we who marked for death
    love the moments of their living breath.

    Every smile, every word, every move you make,
    as falling bodies to my earth, I press;
    as into metal acids eat and ache,
    I etch you in my brains with instinct's stress,
    beautiful shapeliness,
    your substance fills the essence they partake.

    The moments march by, clattering and relentless,
    but in my ears your silence lies.
    Even the stars blaze up, fall, evanesce, 
    but you're a stillness in my eyes.
    The taste of you, hushed like a cavern-pool,
    floats in my mouth, as cool;
    your hand, upon a water-glass,
    veined with its glowing lace,
    dawns beautiful.

No comments: