11/04/2009

Midnight sun

"Edward," Bella said.

I froze, staring at her unopened eyes.
Has she woken, caught me here? She looked asleep, yet her voice had been so clear...
She sighed a quiet sigh, and then moved restlessly again, rolling to her side---still fast asleep and dreaming.

"Edward," she mumbled softly.

She was dreaming of me.
Could a dead, frozen heart beat again? It felt like mine was about to.



"Stay," she sighed. "Don't go. Please...don't go."

She was dreaming of me, and it wasn't even a nightmare. She wanted me to stay with her, there in her dream.
I struggled to find words to name the feelings that flooded through me, but I had no words strong enough to hold them. For a long moment, I drowned in them.
When I surfaced, I was not the same man I had been.

My life was an unending, unchanging midnight. It must, by necessity, always be midnight for me. So how was it possible that the sun was rising now, right in the middle of my midnight? 


(Stephanie Meyer owns the saga)

No comments: